How to Apply for a Family Visa in Canada for Parents and Grandparents

Family Visa

The Canadian government permits the immigration of several family members because it is only natural that families would want to live together. 

When it comes to getting a Canadian family visa to migrate family members to Canada, the applicant can include selective members as a primary visa application for new immigrants to Canada— including spouses and dependent children.

Parents or grandparents, on the other hand, cannot be included in the primary visa application. Sponsorship by a Canadian citizen or resident is required to bring parents and grandparents to Canada.

Two types of Visa: 

  • The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa allow parents and grandparents to visit Canada for a maximum of two years per visit. It is a temporary residency permit with validity for a period of up to ten years.
  • The Parent and Grandparent Standard Visa allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for six months per visit. It is a temporary residency permit with validity for a period of up to ten years.

Family Immigration— Eligibility Requirements

For partners and spouses: 

  • The spouse or common-law partner (including same-sex partners) is allowed to be included in the immigration application. 
  • The applicant’s common-law partner can be of any sex who has lived together for at least one year. 
  • On the visa application form, the spouse or common-law partner must provide the same information as the main applicant. 
  • If there are any dependent children from the side of the spouse or common-law partner, the visa application can also include their names.

For Children

Prior to August 2014, the age limit for dependent children was up to the age of 22. But this is no longer the same. Dependent children who can be included in the visa application must be under the age of 19— however, there can be an exception if the dependent children have specific physical and/or mental impairments or medical conditions, in which case the age limit is not applicable. 

Dependent children status

  • Any child under the age of 19 who may not have a spouse or partner, or any child of any age who is financially reliant on the applicant/ spouse owing to a physical or psychological handicap or other health problems.  
  • If the dependent children of the applicant or the spouse have children, their names can also be listed on the visa application. 

For Parents and Grandparents

  • Parents and grandparents cannot be included in the official visa application. They should be sponsored by a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. 
  • In exceptional situations where the parents or grandparents are surviving in extreme poverty, and there are credible humanistic and conscientious justifications, the applicant can include them on the official application. 

Eligibility requirements: 

  • The applicant and the parents/grandparents must sign a sponsorship agreement before they can sponsor their parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.
  • The agreement declares that—
  • The applicant’s parents/grandparents will take all necessary actions to ensure their financial independence.
  • The primary applicant will provide them with financial support if the parent(s)/ grandparent(s) become unemployed within a period of three to ten years of settling in Canada. 

Also Read: Useful Tips For Renting a Car


  • The applicant may not be allowed to sponsor the parents or grandparents if any of the circumstances listed below applies—- 
  • The applicant already broke the terms of financial support for another relative you sponsored.
  • The applicant has missed a court-ordered support payment, including child support.
  • The applicant has acquired government benefits or financial assistance from the Canadian government except for support for disability issues.  
  • The applicant has been convicted of a violent or sexual crime or a crime against a family member. 
  • The applicant has defaulted on an immigrant loan due to missed payments, late payments, or legal other defaults. 
  • The applicant is presently incarcerated. 
  • The applicant is currently declared bankrupt. 


  • Orphaned relatives, including brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren under 19-years-old can also apply for sponsorship. The same parents/grandparents’ eligibility requirements and limits apply to sponsoring these relatives. 
  • The applicant can also sponsor a child under the age of 19 whom they want to adopt, given that it meets the relevant adoption laws of Canada.


The family members listed as dependents who can come with the applicant to Canada includes— 

  • Spouse / common-law partner 
  • Dependent children 
  • Dependent children of the spouse/ common-law partner
  • Dependent children of dependent children. 

The family members who require sponsorship to come to Canada includes

  • Parents or grandparents
  • Other family relatives (brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, etc). 

Note. The applicant cannot migrate the dependents to Canada before them. They must either accompany the applicant or after the applicant. The applicant can also sponsor members after they immigrate to Canada. 


Acquiring a family visa to Canada can be a complicated and hectic process. Consider immigration experts with decades of experience to save time and money and to make the process easier. 

Leave a reply