For someone new to the keto diet, this can all seem a little confusing. Many people don’t realize that their bodies use sugar as fuel. It may not be so difficult for someone to give up sweets. Still, carbohydrates enter our body not only in the form of sweets and pastries, but you also may not imagine how many carbohydrates you eat every day until you have to eliminate them. If you want to lose weight and not increase it again, the keto diet is the way to go. Is keto safe? This article will show you some benefits of a keto diet for women’s health. Stay tuned to learn more!
What is a Keto Diet?
As you already understood, this diet’s main feature is the use of very low carbohydrate and high-fat content. It is very similar to the Atkins diet and other low-carb diets. This original weight loss technique was developed for almost 100 years and was basically used to treat epilepsy in children.
How to start a keto diet? It works on the principle of restructuring metabolism: a sharp reduction in carbohydrate intake, the so-called carbohydrate starvation of cells, puts the body in a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, our body begins to break down fats very actively, using them as the main source of energy. This process also forms many ketone bodies, which are one of the main activity sources for the brain.
Besides, a keto diet plan can significantly lower blood sugar and insulin levels. It, along with the elevated ketones, has numerous health benefits.
As stated above, the keto diet is an effective way to lose weight that also helps to minimize risk factors for various diseases. If you are interested in this method of nutrition for weight loss, you should know that the ketogenic diet contributes to the effective loss of extra pounds more than any low-fat diet. But at the same time, of course, you must follow the dietary rules.
Nutritionists believe the keto diet is the optimal diet for safe, smooth weight loss. Moreover, this happens without feeling hungry and violence against the body, since the diet is so rich that you can lose weight without counting calories before each meal.
Benefits of the Keto Diet For Women’s Health
The ketogenic diet originated as a tool for treating neurological diseases such as epilepsy. However, further research has confirmed that this diet can be beneficial for various diseases.
- Heart disease: A ketogenic diet can lower risk factors such as body fat in women, HDL cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Cancer: Today, this diet is used to treat several types of cancers and slow the growth of tumors.
- Epilepsy: Studies have shown that a ketogenic diet can significantly reduce seizures in epilepsy.
- Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Diseases: The high-fat low-carb foods can reduce the symptoms common to the condition and slow down its progression. There is research showing that this diet can help reduce the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Diabetes and Prediabetes: The keto diet naturally lowers blood sugar and is a good way to prevent diabetes. It can be prescribed for type II diabetes.
- Skin disorders: Lowering insulin levels and consuming less sugar or processed foods can help women get rid of acne and relieve psoriasis. Ketosis improves the general condition of the skin, relieves inflammation and redness, and helps to get rid of any rashes.
- Hormonal disorders: The keto diet is great at balancing female hormone levels, stabilizing the cycle, and reducing inflammation. Besides, ketosis supports the entire hormonal system, while also having a positive effect on the thyroid gland.
But keep in mind that this is all individual, and research in many of these areas is far from conclusive. Many doctors take a cautious approach to extreme diets, including keto, mainly because they are difficult to follow.
However, what nutritionists and scientists agree on are the benefits of the keto diet for metabolic, neurological, or insulin-related diseases. Also, due to a decrease in insulin and this hormone being responsible for fat stores during the best exogenous ketones intake and following your macros during a keto diet, the body begins to burn it very actively, leading to the desired weight loss.
Also Read: Food For Healthy Skin – Tips and Advice
The main condition for a keto diet is that the carbohydrate content of food should not exceed 50 grams per day, so the main emphasis is on limiting food high in carbohydrates. Always try to combine meals around vegetables and meats for a long time, as each type of food provides different nutrients and health benefits.
If you plan to join the ranks of losing weight using the ketogenic nutrition system, study what foods should be in your grocery basket, and what, on the contrary, should not be there. And do not forget to consult with your doctor before such experiments!
Have you already tried any keto diet benefits? Which advantage is the most important for you? Do not hesitate to share any details in the comments below.